Director of HR Administration and Operations
Position Title: Director of HR Administration and Operations
Position Location: While candidates are welcome to apply from across the U.S., we have a preference for those located in Brooklyn, NY or Washington, DC. Those that are near a CPD office in DC or Brooklyn may be asked to work from a CPD/A office one or two days/week if necessary. Applicants outside of those areas may be required to travel to a CPD/A office occasionally.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Director of HR Administration and Operations. This is a full-time, exempt position.
About CPD + CPDA:
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
We are seeking a Director of HR Administration and Operations to join our Infrastructure department.
This role is a mixture of both management and implementation of key areas of CPD/A’s Human Resources and Operations infrastructure. They are responsible for supervising implementation of all of CPD’s HR Administration functions, including administration of the HRIS system, payroll, benefits, and HR compliance, as well as overseeing the procurement / contracting system, office management, and general administration / operations functions. This position leads the HR Admin / Operations team, and works closely with the People and Culture Team to ensure key HR policies are well administered and accessible. They will also partner with key stakeholders on the effective use of CPD/A facilities, and they will provide oversight of operational needs related to select organizational events. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who has a passion for details and systems, who is able to make things work both directly and by guiding others, and who thinks through the equity impacts of policies and procedures.
We estimate that candidates will have about 12 years of Operations, HR Administration, or Facilities experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
The Director of HR Administration and Operations will report to the Chief Operating Officer and supervise the Payroll and Benefits Manager, Administrative Manager, and the Operations Associate.
The Director of HR Administration and Operations will:
HR Administration duties (anticipated to be about 50%):
- Oversee payroll and benefits, ensuring the organization’s compliance with specific areas of employment law (ex. unemployment insurance, local leave laws).
- Be responsible for overseeing accurate and complete payroll transmission semi-monthly. This includes administration of the time tracking system and ensuring complete and accurate time tracking submissions.
- Be responsible for ensuring successful implementation of our HRIS system, and ensuring it meets the needs of our organization. This includes utilizing our new payroll / HRIS system to meet reporting and tracking needs of the organization, and training and orienting staff to payroll, our time tracking system and associated policies.
- Lead annual benefits renewal and negotiations, including managing the relationship with our insurance brokers to ensure both accuracy and a great experience for all our staff. This includes ensuring a smooth and comprehensive open enrollment process, and as applicable, design of new benefits features.
- Manage the day-to-day HR Admin workflow.
- Responsible for owning worker safety issues, including administering Workers Compensation and being a member of CPD’s COVID taskforce, creating and overseeing implementation of COVID (and other) safety protocols, and fostering a safe, collaborative, and equitable hybrid office environment.
- Ensure close collaboration with the People & Culture team on various projects, such as maintaining an updated employee handbook and “staff hub” intranet site of staff resources.
- Supervise, train, and develop the Payroll and Benefits Manager
- Manage and oversee the HR Admin / Operations budget.
Operations duties (anticipated to be about 50%):
- Oversee design, administration, and functioning of CPD/A’s procurement system and process, including ensuring clear workflow, approvals, and database & system management.
- Oversee the management of CPD/A facilities, including but not limited to providing guidance to operations staff on key decision-points related to facilities, ensuring CPD’s facilities usage practices reflect the organization’s needs and priorities, and advising on overall space needs and solutions for the organization.
- Oversee CPD/A’s organizational insurance portfolio, ensuring proper coverage and stewardship of our policies.
- Ensure that CPD has sound systems for operations and administrative support.
- Oversee provision of remote support for select high-priority events for the organization, including (but not limited to) hotel bookings, recommending / resolving needs for meals, space rentals, childcare, etc.
- Supervise, train, and develop the Administrative Manager and the Operations Associate, whose primary responsibilities include managing contract administration and procurement, overseeing and providing support for events, supporting in org-wide billing, and managing facilities needs.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A minimum of 12 years related work experience, including at least 4 years of HR specific experience;
- A general understanding of employment laws, including the NLRA and ERISA;
- Management experience -- supervisory experience is not required, but the ideal candidate will have managed upwards and sideways;
- Strong spreadsheet and technology skills as well as agility with remote work tools; familiarity with Paylocity, Asana, and Salesforce a plus.
- Some experience with facilities management;
- Demonstrated judgment and discretion with highly confidential and sensitive information.
Applicants should expect to participate in two rounds of group interviews and a job simulation exercise. Final candidates will be asked to provide references. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis through November 26th.
Salary and Benefits:
CPD/A is a unionized workplace. This is a supervisory position, not included in our bargaining unit. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $95,000-$110,000.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 12 sick days per year, additional PTO, including holidays, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.