Associate Staff Accountant
Position Title: Associate Staff Accountant
Position Location: CPD/A has offices in NYC and DC, but for this role, we will consider candidates who live outside our office areas but within the US.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking an Associate Staff Accountant.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
This position will work closely with the CPD/A finance team to cover a range of accounting duties of CPD, CPDA, Popular Democracy PAC, and other related entities. The Associate Staff Accountant will be primarily focused on all aspects of financial record keeping including maintenance of monthly, quarterly, annual and semi-annual schedules and year-end audit and tax preparation, and otherwise support the finance team as needed, as well as support grant financial reporting to funders. This position will work to maintain a culture of compliance, ethics, and integrity, while maintaining strong internal controls and complying with GAAP and other professional standards.
We estimate that candidates will have about 6 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
The Associate Staff Accountant will report to the Senior Accounting Manager.
The Associate Staff Accountant will:
- Perform monthly closing activities, including booking and confirming bank activity, booking payroll and benefits, and other semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, annual, and year-end transactions;
- Complete reconciliations and update schedules of those accounts on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis;
- Prepare and update the AR schedule and add supporting documents, including grant agreements, proposals, budgets, etc;
- Update quarterly the prepaid, fixed assets and deposit schedules;
- Provide support for grant financial reporting to funders (foundations, organizations, government agencies, etc.), including creation of schedules, tagging of expenses in the accounting system, and other related tasks;
- Perform ad hoc accounting projects on an as-needed basis;
- Assist with lobbying reports, GIK, and other special reports.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Previous accounting experience required; experience at a nonprofit preferred.
- College-level accounting education or equivalent accounting-related education preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word required.
- Advanced Excel skills, which will be utilized on an almost daily basis, are preferred.
- High attention to detail, accuracy in work product, and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Experience with SAGE Intacct a strong plus, but not required.
- Experience with Concur and Workday Adaptive Insights a strong plus, but not required.
- Experience working in a multi-entity environment is a strong plus, but not required.
- A commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of the challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. Specific employment terms are subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Salary under the CBA will be determined according to a salary scale that takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $65,000-$75,000 and category 2. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is available here.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.