Co-Chiefs of Basebuilding
Position Title: Co-Chiefs of Base-Building
Position Location: CPD/A has offices in NYC and DC, but for this role, we will consider candidates who live outside our office areas but within the US.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking Co-Chiefs of Base-Building.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy with our affiliate network of innovative base-building organizations and other progressive allies across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
We are seeking Co-Chiefs of Base-Building to lead CPD/A’s work to build strong organizing programs at CPD/A affiliate organizations and at CPD/A nationally. These positions will manage the Base-Building department and be committed members of CPD/A’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT). We estimate that candidates will have about 15 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
The Co-Chiefs of Base-Building will report to the organization’s Chief of Staff and will supervise the leads of Base-Building sub-teams and potentially additional supporting staff.
The Co-Chiefs of Base-Building will:
Lead and support the organization's efforts to significantly expand an engaged base through integrated and strong local and national organizing programs. This work simultaneously furthers our strategic vision goals of: dismantling racial capitalism, scaling our independent political power, confronting corporate power, and achieving an ambitious federal equity agenda while supporting affiliates to win state and local campaigns. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and coordination across CPD/A’s Base-Building Department;
- Provide excellent supervision/management of the Base-Building Department including coaching, staff engagement, team coordination, and staff development practices;
- Work with affiliates and SLT members to develop and manage a program to strengthen affiliate organizing programs, grow a national organizer and member leader training initiative, build a common organizing program across partner affiliates and CPD/A nationally, and expand core organizing capacities to be shared across partner affiliates and CPD/A;
- Work with Campaigns Department, Communications Department, Politics Department, and other CPD/A staff, and affiliates to develop and implement innovative strategies for running campaigns, electoral efforts, and other work that significantly expands base-building;
- Ensure overall financial management for the department, including budgeting and adjusting expenses along the way, as needed.
- Manage the fundraising plan to meet the Base-Building team budget annually and contribute to other organizational fundraising efforts;
- Work with Senior Leadership Team (specifically collaborate with other Chiefs to coordinate work across departments and support Co-EDs in their overall leadership of our work) to build our desired organizational culture, meet annual goals, and achieve our strategic vision;
- Provide public leadership through writing, external meetings, events and the press;
- Develop and implement team infrastructure (data tracking, reporting, etc.) to support success;
- Work in deep partnership with affiliates, CPD/A Boards and other movement allies to develop and carry out base-building efforts that actualize our strategic vision, particularly by challenging racial capitalism.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Significant experience developing scaled community organizing programs;
- At least seven years experience managing sizable teams and complex projects or initiatives;
- Experience managing high level leaders, program directors and staff;
- A commitment to building base-building people’s institutions as a core element of building power;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving environment with staff from diverse backgrounds, working in varied issues with varied types of expertise, and spread across the country;
- Significant fundraising experience;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a supervisory position, not included in the Collective Bargaining Unit. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $145,000-$165,000.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.