Director of Strategic Research and Policy
Position Title: Director of Strategic Research and Policy
Position Location: CPD/A has offices in NYC and DC, but for this role, we will consider candidates who live outside our office areas but within the US.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Director of Strategic Research & Policy to lead the Strategic Research & Policy team.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
We are seeking a full-time Director of Strategic Research & Policy to help shape and ensure implementation of the research components of our campaigns for economic justice, immigrants’ rights, and racial justice.
The Director will lead the strategic development of CPD/CPDA’s research agenda and collaborate closely with CPD/CPDA’s Senior Leadership Team, Campaign team leadership, CPD affiliates, and the Research team on the development of strategic research that drives campaigns. This position will supervise and work closely with a team of researchers performing exploratory campaign research, data gathering and analysis, creation of campaign materials (including major reports, data briefs, infographics, testimony, regulatory comments, policy analysis, and other strategic materials for CPD/CPDA and our partner organizations), and community education materials. Examples of recent research can be found on our website (https://www.populardemocracy.org/news/publications). COVID depending, it is expected that this position will attend in person meetings and/or actions with CPD/A affiliates and partners.
We estimate that candidates will have about 15 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
The Director of Strategic Research & Policy will report to the Co-Chief of Campaigns and will supervise the Strategic Research & Policy team.
The Director of Strategic Research & Policy will:
- Provide thoughtful and high quality supervision, mentorship, and feedback to a team of strategic researchers.
- Work collaboratively with CPD/CPDA campaigns, research staff, and affiliates to identify opportunities for and shape high-impact research that drives campaigns and base-building goals.
- Oversee project/publication planning and execution, and coordinate research support, as needed, across departments and throughout the CPD network of community organizations.
- Build research analysts’ capacity to: develop sophisticated, impactful, and politically relevant analyses using a broad range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies; deliver excellent written and oral communication; collaborate closely with campaigners and affiliates to advance base-building goals; and coordinate research content and report releases with advocacy goals and communications strategies.
- Create and maintain strong, meaningful relationships with CPD affiliates and allies including policy organizations, grassroots organizations, think tanks, and academics.
- Develop structures for coordination and collaboration between the Research team and other departments at CPD/CPDA, including Campaigns, Communications, Base-Building, in order to deepen the intersections between our work.
- Work in close collaboration with CPD's Communications team to ensure CPD/CPDA's research reaches strategic audiences and helps inform popular education efforts.
- Fundraising, including grant writing and reporting, building strong relationships with foundation staff and individual donors, and locating new sources of funds to support research and policy creation.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- At least 2 (but preferably 5) years’ of experience as a supervisor of research staff, and manager of research projects in collaboration with base-building community organizations or in strategic campaigns settings.
- Significant experience in strategic research, and at least 3 years with base-building, community, or labor organizations.
- A strong track record of managing high-quality strategic research, advocacy, and/or policy reports from concept stage through public release.
- An advanced degree in public policy, social sciences, or another relevant field (preferred but not required).
- Familiarity with designing strategic and campaigns-oriented research projects in partnership with community organizations.
- Familiarity with socioeconomic and political data sets and statistical methods.
- Ability to conceptualize high-impact new projects and research agendas, policy priorities and content, and new work areas in alignment with evolving strategic goals and a changing political landscape.
- An ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across lines of difference.
- The capacity to be an excellent supervisor and mentor.
- Fundraising knowledge, experience, and success.
- COVID depending, the ability to travel occasionally (about 10-15%).
- A commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of the challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
Salary and Benefits:
CPD/A is a unionized workplace. This is a supervisory position, not included in our bargaining unit. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $105,000-$120,000.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.