Director, Voting Rights and Democracy Program
Position Title: Director, Voting Rights and Democracy Program
Position Location: New York, NY or Washington, D.C. strongly preferred; other locations considered
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Director for the Voting Rights and Democracy (VR&D) Program.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with more than 48 affiliates in 34 states and Puerto Rico, and build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
We are seeking a Director of the Voting Rights and Democracy Program.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and energetic professional who can lead CPD’s Voting Rights Team and effectively run our national Voting Rights & Democracy program. Candidates should have at least 5-7 years experience working with community-based organizations or labor unions on voting rights, election administration, restoration of rights or other democracy issues. We are looking for candidates with specific experience in developing and running ambitious state and local advocacy campaigns. Strong candidates will have significant experience working closely with base-building community organizations in coalition or directly to run local or state level issue campaigns.
Candidates should have a strong grasp of the voting rights landscape and major policy opportunities and challenges facing the field. CPD’s Voting Rights & Democracy program is moving toward innovative and ambitious voting rights and progressive democracy reform strategies, so we are looking for candidates that are able to translate visionary ideas into actionable and winnable campaigns. Candidates should also have excellent team management skills and demonstrated ability to raise funding for campaigns.
This position will report to the Campaigns Manager.
The Director of the Voting Rights and Democracy Program will:
- Oversee the development, implementation and success of CPD’s VR&D Program.
- Supervise and manage the VR&D team.
- Provide strategic and visionary direction for the VR&D Program, developing the program’s policy agenda at the state and federal level.
- Coordinate CPD’s support to affiliates working at the state and local voting rights and democracy reform campaigns, including same day registration, restoration of rights, universal voter registration, eliminating the filibuster, D.C. statehood, among others.
- Support CPD partners on campaign strategy and tactics, providing technical and campaign and organizing capacity, development of field programs and other activities to meet campaign goals and priorities.
- Lead fundraising to grow and sustain the VR&D Program and to raise resources for our affiliates driving campaigns in the field.
- Support affiliates to develop the expertise, leadership and capacity of their members on voting rights and democracy reform issues, in particular support leadership development of those historically marginalized within our democratic process.
- Participate and represent CPD in national-level policy and campaign conversations voting rights and democracy work and continue to build CPD’s role within the national voting rights landscape.
- Coordinate with campaign, research, and policy staff to find opportunities for aligned work and cross-campaign coordination.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
- About 10-12 years of strategic campaign and organizing experience;
- Experience developing and managing large scale or state-wide campaigns for voting rights and progressive democracy reform issues;
- Strong leadership with the ability to drive projects and programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work within and provide leadership in a coalition of diverse organizations and partners;
- Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Experience raising resources from foundations and/or individual donors.
Salary and Benefits:
CPD/A is a unionized workplace. This is a supervisory position not included in our bargaining unit. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $100,000-$115,000.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days per year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.