Senior Policy Strategist
- United States
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Position Title: Senior Policy Strategist
Position Location: CPD/A has offices in NYC and DC, but for this role, we will consider candidates who live outside our office areas but within the US.
The Center for Popular Democracy is seeking a Senior Policy Strategist.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action (CPD/CPDA) is seeking a full-time Senior Policy Strategist who will work closely with grassroots community organizations to develop and win city, state, and federal policy victories. The successful candidate will provide detailed policy research and analysis in support of CPD’s campaigns in Puerto Rico. They will also support CPD’s immigrant justice work, providing policy support to the Senior National Organizer for Immigrant Justice work and applying a language and immigrant justice lens to policy proposals and demands across the organization. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to help advance policy innovation on issues impacting Puerto Rico as well as support economic justice for immigrant communities in partnership with grassroots organizations at the forefront of these fights.
We estimate that candidates will have about 10 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
This position will report to the Senior Federal Policy Analyst.
The Senior Policy Strategist will:
- Research, analyze, draft, and recommend policy positions in Puerto Rico and at the state and federal levels to support the demands and needs of CPD/A’s Puerto Rico campaigns.
- Support the development of local and national campaigns through legal research and policy analysis, legislative drafting, political advocacy, and communications work.
- Work with CPD/A research staff to develop corporate accountability campaigns and policy recommendations at the state and federal level, including legal and legislative research of relevant New York, Puerto Rico, and federal law.
- In partnership with the Senior National Organizer for Immigrant Justice, identify the intersections of immigrant justice issues with CPD’s other issue campaigns.
- Draft position papers, statements, and other materials analyzing and/or recommending local, state and federal policy impacting immigrant communities.
- Develop popular education materials that translate policy and data into digestible content that can move and support grassroots decision-making.
- Represent CPD/A at conferences and other public events.
- Collaborate with CPD/A research and communications staff on the generation of reports, policy statements, popular education materials, and other public facing documents.
- Draft fundraising proposals and reports, participate in calls with funders, facilitate subgranting to partners. Participate in all internal administrative tasks including quarterly and annual grant reporting.
- Support local, state, and federal work on policy proposals developed by the CPD/A campaigns team on a range of issue areas as needed.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- At least five years of experience developing state and/or federal policy, preferably with demonstrated application of a racial/immigrant justice lens;
- Experience working with grassroots organizations and in diverse communities;
- Experience working across departments or teams within an organization;
- Success as an independent, self-motivated leader with an ability to drive projects to completion in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience communicating policies to a wide variety of audiences, including policymakers and legislative staff, the public, and grassroots organizers;
- Willingness to travel occasionally when it is safe to do so;
- Spanish language skills required;
- A JD or graduate-level coursework in public policy or other relevant discipline preferred, but not required;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a union position. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $75,000-$85,000 and category 3. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is available here.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.