Youth Organizing Manager
Position Title: Youth Organizing Manager
Position Location: CPD/A has offices in NYC and DC, but for this role, we will consider candidates who live outside our office areas but within the US.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Youth Organizing Manager.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
The Youth Organizing Manager will work in deep partnership with CPD/A affiliates to greatly expand a base of engaged youth in Black, Latinx, and low-income communities. This position will build the capacity of youth leaders and organizers through training, toolkits, coaching, program development, and resource creation. The Youth Organizing Manager will be a member of CPD/A’s Base-building team.
We estimate that people serving in this role will come to CPD/A with about 6 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not years of experience.
The Youth Organizing Manager will report to the Base-Building Department’s Organizing Director.
The Youth Organizing Manager will:
- Partner with key staff on different teams to lead the development of multi-year goals and a workplan that will significantly grow the base of youth as a constituency across affiliates and national issue campaigns. This will include an ongoing and deeply integrated relationship with CPD/A’s Education and Justice Transformation and Climate Justice teams and additional light partnership with other national campaign teams;
- Work closely with a set of affiliates to support the growth of their youth base-building work on different issue campaigns. This includes: bi-weekly 1:1 support for affiliate youth organizers of 3-5 affiliates; anchoring a national community of youth leaders who gather online and offline for peer support, campaign development, and skills building; support for projects including back to school recruitment blitzes, youth fellowships, and more;
- Work closely with other Base-Building department staff to drive engagement of youth contacts, to offer youth member and organizer-specific organizing skill and political formation training offerings, to offer week-long youth organizing blitzes that bring together youth organizers from across affiliates to work together closely in a single place, and more;
- Lead efforts to grow and strengthen the base-building, leadership development, and organizational capacity of our network and affiliates;
- Develop and lead organizing training curriculum for large scale, network-led trainings as well as for site based affiliate support and refine a methodology for strong, youth-led base-building;
- Support CPD/A affiliates in launching and/or building out emerging youth organizing programs and serve as the point person for a set of affiliates by connecting them to network resources and opportunities;
- Engage with the larger youth justice movement to build transformational and deeply collaborative partnerships; and,
- Support fundraising work, which could include participating in funder meetings and preparing reports and proposals.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- About 5 years experience in youth organizing, which could include leadership development and supervising or developing organizers;
- Demonstrated commitment to scaled recruitment and leadership development, especially of those most impacted. This includes a deep commitment to building base-building people’s institutions as a core element of building power;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving environment with staff from diverse backgrounds, working in varied issues with varied types of expertise, and spread across the country;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities;
- Ability to travel to support affiliates in person, to engage in network events and to participate in learning, professional development, relationship building and/or fundraising (COVID depending).
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $65,000-$75,000 and category 2. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is available here.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.